February 27th - March 17th, 2017
Sanctuary is a multi-media arts festival celebrating community, spirituality and creative expression. Spanning twenty days of installations, performances and events, Sanctuary will feature works from a variety of creative disciplines, including fine art, music, choreography, literature, comedy, film, sociology and more.
All Sanctuary events will take place at The San Damiano Mission, a Roman Catholic Church located at the crossing of Williamsburg and Greenpoint in Brooklyn. The Mission welcomes all people regardless of faith. Sanctuary is a creative and a spiritual endeavor with the aim to support the restoration of The San Damiano Mission on both a physical and spiritual level.
During the span of Sanctuary, the church will be open daily as a creative sanctuary around its regularly scheduled services. See the full schedule for details.
Sanctuary seeks to break down barriers as we explore the notions of “art”, “spirituality” and “community” in a quickly gentrifying neighborhood. It’s an opportunity for newcomers and long-time residents to come together in celebration, and create a safe place for self-expression, experimentation, and artistic collaboration.
"Through the magic of art, Bremer is working to bring all aspects of community together."
SUPPORT SANCTUARY: Purchase original artwork
- Special edition prints by Sebastiaan Bremer created at Sanctuary
- One-of-a-kind collages by Daria Birang x Inez & Vinoodh, created at Sanctuary
- Brooklyn Daily
- Brooklyn I'm Trying
- Brooklyn Paper
- The Culture Trip
- Dutch Culture USA
- New York Times
- Time Out New York
- Artist, Sebastiaan Bremer, at work daily and his studio
- Tube, an installation by Lee Boroson
- An immersive site-specific installation fusing sound and image titled, Confessional: Turn to Moss, by Josephine Wiggs, Sebastiaan Bremer, Bill Swartz, Rob De Mar and Mark Bero
- A sculptural intervention by Rob De Mar, created on site
- New sculptural work by Fred Tomasselli
- A unique multi-media installation by Raemann
- I Want to Know Your Ghost by Laura Stein